学部(学士課程) : 1年次, 2年次, 3年次, 4年次, 5年次, 6年次
|Environmental Studies A|
木曜日 5, 6 時限
木曜日 5, 6時限
|授業の概要||Plants are at the base of our ecosystem so conserving plant bio resources is important for survival of life on earth. Gaining knowledge about plant biology can help us address important global issues we face today like population explosion, food insecurity, pollution, climate change etc. This course is designed to deepen our knowledge about plant biodiversity and how humans can benefit from it. It aims to educate students about the need for conservation and sustainable use of these resource|
|学習の目的||The purpose of this course is to introduce the world of plants and its role in human development. It helps students gain in-depth knowledge about how human civilizations have flourished by utilizing plant bio resources and developed modern agriculture, from the time of plant hunters to the present day, when we can easily consume food produced in different parts of the world. Topics like plant breeding, modern technology in food production, plant diversity conservation, plant physiology and anatomy will be focused. Students will learn to research, write essays, perform peer evaluation and make short presentations in English.|
|学習の到達目標||After taking this course, students can (i) gain in-depth knowledge about potentials and opportunities in the field of plant biology and be able to view it as a beneficial resource for human civilization, and (ii) acquire skills in writing academic essays and making oral presentations in English.|
|教科書||No textbook is assigned. Classroom handouts will be provided as needed.|
|参考書||Students will be provided links to various online scientific journals and websites for database research.|
|成績評価方法と基準||There will be no examinations. Students will be evaluated according to attendance, classroom participation, essays (500-1000 words each) and one time 15-minute oral presentation.|
|オフィスアワー||Thursdays 10:30-11:30, 教養教育機構２号１F|
|受講要件||English is the medium of instruction for this course so students are expected to have basic language skills and be able to use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.|
|発展科目||Biotechnology, Horticulture, Agriculture|
|授業改善への工夫||Peer review time to refine and improve their reports will be allotted. Student-to-student evaluation of oral presentation will be given importance. Videos will be recommended to understand basic phenomenons. Learning technical terminology in English will be encouraged throughout the course.|
|その他||Improve your English communicative skill and develop your knowledge on biology.|
|Key Word(s)||Botany, Economic Botany, Beneficial Plant Resources, Plant Breeding, Environmental Conservation, Presentation, Discussion|
|学習内容||Content of 15 Lectures
1. Orientation, Explanation of Evaluation Scheme, Choice of a topic for final presentation.
2. Let’s talk about our food- Start with shopping at a local supermarket.
3. Let’s collect the names of 50 different plants not used as food. How do we use them?
4. Let’s learn about the plant body from cell level.
5. Food production, the history and “culture” involved in agriculture.
6. Living things and environmental problems-The story of evolution and ongoing adaptation.
7. Submission of 1st Essay, Peer Evaluation and Oral Presentations.
8. Plant breeding- History and applied modern technology.
9. Economic botany- Plants that have contributed to human civilization.
10. Submission of 2nd Essay, Peer Evaluation and Oral Presentations.
11. Ongoing global efforts for global food security.
12. Challenges for modern farmers and some plant enthusiasts worldwide.
13. Survival tactics of some unique plants and their relation with pollinators.
14. Submission of 3rd Essay, Peer Evaluation and Oral Presentations
15. Review and submission of all written material in a file and final oral presentations.
|事前・事後学修の内容||Students are expected to do their own research on each topic before coming to class. After class, they need to further research the topic. Finally they need to improve their essay and presentation based on peer evaluation.|